Alexander Praises Senate Passage of Burr-Harkin Bill to Prepare Nation for Medical Emergencies and Bioterror Attacks
“I thank Senator Burr for his leadership on this issue and I urge our colleagues in the House to pass this important legislation”
Thursday, February 28, 2013
Washington, D.C., February 28 –Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), Ranking Member on the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, today praised passage by the Senate of a bill to improve the nation’s ability to prepare for, and respond to, pandemics and bioterror attacks.
“The threat of a bioterror attack or flu outbreak is real, and this bill helps ensure we’re prepared for that threat and that our state and federal governments and local entities are working together to be as ready as possible,” Alexander said. “I thank Senator Burr for his leadership on this issue, and I urge our colleagues in the House to pass this important legislation.”
Committee chairman Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Senators Enzi (R-Wyo.), Casey (D-Penn.), Mikulski (D-Md.), Isakson (R-Ga.), Roberts (R-Kan.), Chambliss (R-Ga.) are also original cosponsors of the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013.
This reauthorization strengthens preparedness for and ability to respond to medical and public health emergencies, optimizes state and local all-hazards preparedness and response efforts and collaboration, enhances medical countermeasure activities, and reauthorizes key medical and public health programs, including the BioShield Special Reserve Fund. Additional information regarding this bill can be found here.
- Harkin: Today’s Enrollment Numbers Show the Affordable Care Act is Working [Chairman]
- Alexander, Thune, Hatch Urge Census Bureau to Keep Questions on Uninsured in Order to Understand Impact of Obamacare [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on Administration Changes to Health Insurance Questions in Census Bureau’s Annual Survey [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Durbin, Waxman, Rockefeller & Members of Congress: Report Shows E-Cigarette Marketing Campaigns Lighting Up Among Young Users [Chairman]
- Alexander, Burr: Unionization is No Solution for College Athletes [Ranking Member]
- Harkin Statement on the Resignation of Secretary Kathleen Sebelius [Chairman]