Alexander Praises Senate Passage of Burr-Harkin Bill to Prepare Nation for Medical Emergencies and Bioterror Attacks
“I thank Senator Burr for his leadership on this issue and I urge our colleagues in the House to pass this important legislation”
Thursday, February 28, 2013
Washington, D.C., February 28 –Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), Ranking Member on the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, today praised passage by the Senate of a bill to improve the nation’s ability to prepare for, and respond to, pandemics and bioterror attacks.
“The threat of a bioterror attack or flu outbreak is real, and this bill helps ensure we’re prepared for that threat and that our state and federal governments and local entities are working together to be as ready as possible,” Alexander said. “I thank Senator Burr for his leadership on this issue, and I urge our colleagues in the House to pass this important legislation.”
Committee chairman Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Senators Enzi (R-Wyo.), Casey (D-Penn.), Mikulski (D-Md.), Isakson (R-Ga.), Roberts (R-Kan.), Chambliss (R-Ga.) are also original cosponsors of the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013.
This reauthorization strengthens preparedness for and ability to respond to medical and public health emergencies, optimizes state and local all-hazards preparedness and response efforts and collaboration, enhances medical countermeasure activities, and reauthorizes key medical and public health programs, including the BioShield Special Reserve Fund. Additional information regarding this bill can be found here.
- Senate Committee Leaders Alexander and Hatch Release Joint Report on Obama Administration’s Obamacare Claims [Ranking Member]
- Congressional Authors Of E-Cigarette Marketing Report Call New CDC Data “the Sound Of An Alarm” [Chairman]
- Barrasso, Alexander: Americans Deserve to See New, Accurate Obamacare Enrollment Data [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on Obama Administration Announcement on Contraception Mandate [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Murray Announce Release of New GAO Report on Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program [Chairman]
- Senators Release Discussion Draft of Bill to Speed FDA Review of Life-Saving Sunscreen Ingredients [Chairman]