Statement of Chairman Tom Harkin (D-IA) on the Mining Deaths at Upper Big Branch South Mine
Tuesday, April 06, 2010Kate Cyrul / Bergen Kenny (202) 224-3254
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) today issued the statement below following an explosion at the Upper Big Branch Mine in Raleigh County, West Virginia that killed 25 workers, with four workers still missing. Harkin chairs both the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee and the Labor Appropriations Subcommittee.
“My heart goes out to the family members of these 25 men who died, and of the four who are still missing, during this difficult time. As the son of a coal miner, I know that mining towns are tight-knit communities, so my thoughts are with all of those who may have known these workers or who may have a loved one still missing because of this blast. I join with them in hoping that the four missing workers are brought to safety.
“The hardworking people who lost their lives deserve our best efforts to ensure that a tragedy like this never happens again. I know that Secretary Solis and her team at the Department of Labor plan to pursue a full investigation, and I look forward to working closely with the Department to ensure that the affected families and communities get the answers they deserve.”
- Alexander: Study Shows Double-Digit Obamacare Premium Increases in Store for Tennesseans in 2015 [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Praises Nashville-Based HCA Healthcare for $1 Million Donation to Respond to Ebola Epidemic [Ranking Member]
- Democratic House, Senate Leaders Release New Report Identifying Hundreds of Tobacco, E-Cigarette Ads and Images in Magazines with High Teen Readership [Chairman]
- Hatch, Alexander Highlight GAO Report Confirming Need for Additional Oversight of Department of Labor Grants [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: Vanderbilt Ebola Researchers, State Health Experts “Ready to Run Toward the Flames with Fireproof Suits On” [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on HHS Inspector General Report on Healthcare.gov Security Weaknesses [Ranking Member]