Enzi Voices Strong Support for Federal Court Decision to Strike Down the Individual Mandate
Monday, December 13, 2010HELP Press Office (202) 224-3290
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Ranking Member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, voiced his strong support for the ruling issued today by federal District Judge Henry Hudson that strikes down the individual mandate requirement in the new health care law.
“Today, Judge Hudson confirmed what Senate Republicans have argued throughout the entire debate on the new health law – the requirement that individuals purchase health insurance is unconstitutional.”
“I applaud today’s ruling, which affirms fundamental Constitutional principles and makes clear that the Commerce Clause does not give Congress an unlimited authority to compel individual Americans to purchase health insurance,” Enzi added.
Enzi noted that the court decision also undermines one of the central components of the new health care law. “With this correct ruling, it is difficult to see how the new law will work. In light of this, I hope that we can return to a legislative process that allows for ideas from both sides of the aisle to be heard, so that we can enact real reforms that respect the Constitution and address the concerns of the American people.”
- On 24th ADA Anniversary, Harkin Reflects on Progress, Work Ahead to Ensure All Americans with Disabilities Have the Opportunity to Succeed [Chairman]
- Alexander: States are Leading in Higher Education Innovation, Washington Getting in the Way [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Miller, Franken: Five Years Since Last Minimum Wage Increase Has Meant $6 Billion Pay Cut for Low-Wage Workers [Chairman]
- Statement of Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) At the HELP Committee Hearing: “The Role of States in Higher Education” [Chairman]
- HELP Committee Approves Seven Bipartisan Bills, Builds on Record of Accomplishments [Chairman]
- Harkin, Miller, Warren, DeLauro Introduce Legislation to Establish Fair Work Scheduling Practices [Chairman]