Senate Help Committee Approves EEOC, CNCS, DOE, NCH, DOL Nominees
Thursday, December 10, 2009Kate Cyrul/ Bergen Kenny (202) 224-3254
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, announced today that the Committee approved eight nominations en bloc this afternoon to fill positions at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Corporation for National and Community Service, the National Council on the Humanities, the Rehabilitation Services Administration at the Department of Education and the Women’s Bureau at the Department of Labor. To accommodate members’ schedules, the Executive Session was held off the Senate floor in between votes. The nominees now move to the full Senate for confirmation.
“At this time of challenge, Americans need committed, capable public servants working full time on their behalf,” Chairman Harkin said. “These nominees will serve Americans by protecting workers from discrimination, facilitating public service and preserving our rich national traditions in the humanities. I am pleased to move their nominations forward.”
A full list of today’s approved nominees is below.
• Jacqueline A. Berrien, of New York, to be Chairperson of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.• Victoria A. Lipnic, of Virginia, to be a Commissioner of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.• Chai R. Feldblum, of Maryland, to be a Commissioner of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.• P. David Lopez, of Arizona, to be General Counsel of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.• Patrick A. Corvington, of Maryland, to be Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation for National and Community Service.• Adele L. Alexander, of the District of Columbia, to be a Member of the National Council on the Humanities.• Lynnae M. Ruttledge, of Washington, to be Commissioner of the Rehabilitation Services Administration, Department of Education.• Sara Manzano-Diaz, of Pennsylvania, to be Director of the Women’s Bureau, Department of Labor.
- Harkin Statement on Menu Labeling Rule Announced by White House [Chairman]
- Harkin, Alexander: One Year Anniversary of Major HELP Committee Legislation to Better Secure the Nation’s Drug Supply [Chairman]
- Alexander Report Finds EEOC Missteps Costing Taxpayers and Victims of Workplace Discrimination [Ranking Member]
- Harkin Applauds Senate Passage of Bipartisan Infant Health Bill [Chairman]
- Senior Lawmakers Introduce Sweeping Reforms to Black Lung Benefits Program [Chairman]
- HELP Chairman Harkin Unveils Bill to Reauthorize Higher Education Act [Chairman]