Alexander: Senate-Passed Bill Will Lead to “Faster Approvals of Animal Medicines and Lower Costs for Farmers”
Urges House to pass bill that will reduce FDA approval time for animal drugs
Thursday, May 09, 2013Liz Wolgemuth 202-228-4729
Washington, D.C., May 9 – U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the Ranking Member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, today praised the Senate’s passage of the reauthorization Animal Drug User Fee Act and Animal Generic Drug User Fee Act.
Alexander said: “These programs have reduced the average waiting time for the FDA to approve generic animal drugs by 450 days and eliminated a backlog of applications, meaning farmers get faster access to cheaper and better medicines, and people are healthier. I urge the House to pass these important reauthorizations.”
In Tennessee, more than 17,500 beef cattle farmers have been Beef Quality Assurance Certified, meaning that they have the proper training and knowledge to handle and administer animal drug products. “Tennessee farmers want to do all they can do to produce a safe and wholesome product not only to feed others, but also their own families,” Alexander added.
The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee passed the legislation out of committee on March 20. At a committee markup of the legislation on February 27, Alexander praised the results of the animal drug user fee programs and said he would work to get the Animal Drug User Fee Act and Animal Generic Drug User Fee Act reauthorized before August.
The House Energy and Commerce Committee passed companion legislation reauthorizing both programs on Wednesday.
# # #
- Alexander Tells Administration Health Officials: “We Must Take Deadly Threat of Ebola as Seriously as We Take ISIS” [Ranking Member]
- Statement of Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) In Dual Role as Chair, Harkin will lead a Joint Hearing of the Senate HELP Committee and LHHS Appropriations Subcommittee: [Chairman]
- McConnell, Alexander Introduce Bill to Turn National Labor Relations Board from Advocate to Umpire [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: We Must Take Deadly, Dangerous Threat of Ebola as Seriously as ISIL [Ranking Member]
- Bipartisan, Bicameral Agreement Reached to Reform Child Care & Development Block Grant Program [Ranking Member]
- Bipartisan, Bicameral Agreement Reached to Reform Child Care & Development Block Grant Program [Chairman]