Harkin: More Than Seven Million Enrolled For Affordable, Quality Health Care
Tuesday, April 01, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, today released the following statement on the news that more than seven million Americans had enrolled in quality, affordable health coverage through the federal and state Marketplaces created under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) by yesterday’s deadline. As Chairman of the HELP Committee, Harkin played a pivotal role in the passage of the ACA.
“Today’s enrollment numbers are a powerful reminder that millions of Americans in Iowa and around the country were ready to take advantage of quality, comprehensive health coverage offered by the Affordable Care Act,” Harkin said. “Helping Americans achieve the health and financial security that health insurance coverage brings is at the heart of health reform’s mission and now it is a reality for millions of families, many of whom previously had no access to health insurance. In addition to the more than seven million Americans who have gained access through the federal and state Marketplaces, millions of Americans have also gained health coverage through the expansion of Medicaid, and more than three million young adults have gained coverage by staying on their parents’ plans.
“Today’s numbers should also send a powerful message to Congressional Republicans, who at every step of the way have sought to undercut or weaken the law, and by extension the health and economic security of millions of Americans. It is abundantly clear that Americans do not want to look back, but instead, look forward to a future in which all people have access to affordable, quality health care.”
For those who were trying to enroll through HealthCare.gov by the March 31 enrollment deadline and were unable to finish, keep trying by visiting Healthcare.gov or by calling 1-800-318-2596 to get the help you need to complete your enrollment.
- Alexander Statement on Obama’s Appointment of Ron Klain [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Calls for Restricted Travel from Ebola-Infected West African Countries to U.S. [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: Obamacare Costs to Tennessee Patients, Taxpayers “Nothing Like Tennesseans Were Promised” [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: 5 Economic Facts About Millennials Under Obama Administration [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: Out-of-Control Obamacare Costs Force Wal-Mart, Others to Cut Benefits for Tennesseans Working Part-Time [Ranking Member]
- Harkin Statement on Department of Labor Announcement Concerning Implementation of Home Care Labor Rule [Chairman]