What Americans Need Most is Job Creation
Thursday, May 10, 2012Joe Brenckle 202-224-2465
WASHINGTON, D.C. – During a hearing on addressing the importance of balancing work and family in today’s economy, Senator Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Ranking Member on the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, said for too many Americans, the daily struggle is not how to balance a job, but how to get a job. Enzi said that Americans need a government willing to get out of the way of job creation.
“The choices being made in Washington are directly impacting the job market, which is making the situation for struggling families even worse,” said Senator Enzi. “In a good economy employees have choices. As American families find their way through this period of life, there is one universal truth, which is: There is not one single solution for every family. Therefore, the best thing we can do in Washington is get out of the way and let the economy grow so that employees have options again.”
Senator Enzi noted that it is difficult to understand the Administration’s position against the Keystone Pipeline, which would create 20,000 new jobs immediately that will grow into more than 500,000 U.S. jobs. In fact, estimates indicate significant growth in annual property taxes for state and local governments and personal income for American workers. Yet, the Administration has directly halted the creation of these jobs.
“Rather than spending time discussing controversial legislation that will not become law this year and will simply become a part of election year politics, we should be focusing on removing roadblocks to job creation and bipartisan solutions to retain good jobs,” Senator Enzi said. “Unfortunately, when we mandate funds for a specific purpose, such as health insurance, we limit the ability of small employers to grow and create the jobs today’s employees are seeking.”
# # #
- White House Executive Order on Federal Contracting Echoes Recommendations From Harkin Investigative Report [Chairman]
- Alexander Statement on GAO Report Detailing Administration’s Obamacare Website Failures [Ranking Member]
- Following Harkin Report Uncovering Labor Law Violations by Federal Contractors, White House Announces Executive Order to Strengthen Protections and Improve Workplace Conditions [Chairman]
- Two Years After Harkin Report Revealed Questionable Business Practices in For-Profit College Industry, New Analysis Shows For-Profit Colleges Are Top Recipients of Post 9/11 G.I. Bill Dollars [Chairman]
- Alexander on NLRB General Counsel Ruling McDonald’s Shares Responsibility for Franchisees’ Employees [Ranking Member]
- On 24th ADA Anniversary, Harkin Reflects on Progress, Work Ahead to Ensure All Americans with Disabilities Have the Opportunity to Succeed [Chairman]