Harkin Statement on HELP Committee Approval of Department of Education, EEOC Nominations
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Today, Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, issued the following statement after the HELP Committee approved two nominees—Michael Keith Yudin and James Cole Jr. — to serve at the Department of Education, and one nominee—Chai Feldblum— to serve at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Yudin and Cole would serve as Assistant Secretary for Special Education and Rehabilitative Services and General Counsel, respectively, at the Department of Education. Feldblum has been renominated to serve as Commissioner at the EEOC.
“Michael Yudin and James Cole are highly-skilled, well-qualified nominees to the Department of Education, and I am pleased that the HELP Committee approved their nominations today. Both Mr. Yudin and Mr. Cole will support the Department’s mission to strengthen and improve our country’s educational opportunities, and help ensure that all students have access to a quality education.
“It is a testament to Chai Feldblum’s work as Commissioner at the EEOC that she has been nominated to serve a second term on this important body, which supports American workers and protects them against discrimination. Ms. Feldblum has served our government ably and competently, and she is highly deserving of a second term as EEOC Commissioner.
“I urge my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to join me in supporting these three excellent candidates when their nominations come before the full Senate.”
- Alexander: States are Leading in Higher Education Innovation, Washington Getting in the Way [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Miller, Franken: Five Years Since Last Minimum Wage Increase Has Meant $6 Billion Pay Cut for Low-Wage Workers [Chairman]
- Statement of Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) At the HELP Committee Hearing: “The Role of States in Higher Education” [Chairman]
- HELP Committee Approves Seven Bipartisan Bills, Builds on Record of Accomplishments [Chairman]
- Harkin, Miller, Warren, DeLauro Introduce Legislation to Establish Fair Work Scheduling Practices [Chairman]
- PHOTOS: At White House, Harkin Applauds Signing of Bipartisan Bill to Update America’s Job Training Programs [Chairman]