Harkin Statement on HELP Committee Approval of Department of Education, EEOC Nominations
Wednesday, October 30, 2013
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Today, Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, issued the following statement after the HELP Committee approved two nominees—Michael Keith Yudin and James Cole Jr. — to serve at the Department of Education, and one nominee—Chai Feldblum— to serve at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Yudin and Cole would serve as Assistant Secretary for Special Education and Rehabilitative Services and General Counsel, respectively, at the Department of Education. Feldblum has been renominated to serve as Commissioner at the EEOC.
“Michael Yudin and James Cole are highly-skilled, well-qualified nominees to the Department of Education, and I am pleased that the HELP Committee approved their nominations today. Both Mr. Yudin and Mr. Cole will support the Department’s mission to strengthen and improve our country’s educational opportunities, and help ensure that all students have access to a quality education.
“It is a testament to Chai Feldblum’s work as Commissioner at the EEOC that she has been nominated to serve a second term on this important body, which supports American workers and protects them against discrimination. Ms. Feldblum has served our government ably and competently, and she is highly deserving of a second term as EEOC Commissioner.
“I urge my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to join me in supporting these three excellent candidates when their nominations come before the full Senate.”
- Child Care Bill is 17th Bipartisan HELP Committee Bill to Clear Senate in 113th Congress under Chairman Harkin's Leadership [Chairman]
- Bipartisan Bill to Help American Families Access Safe, Affordable, and Quality Child Care Clears Senate [Ranking Member]
- Bipartisan Bill to Help American Families Access Safe, Affordable, and Quality Child Care Clears Senate [Chairman]
- Alexander: FDA “Off to a Fast Start” in Implementing New Law to Clarify Oversight of Compounding Pharmacies [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Baldwin, Miller, DeLauro Introduce Bill to Fight Workplace Harassment [Chairman]
- Alexander, Thune, Hatch, 22 GOP Colleagues Call on Administration to Immediately Rescind Rule Giving Unions a Carveout from Obamacare [Ranking Member]