VIDEO: Reckless NLRB Threatens America’s Small Businesses
Monday, April 23, 2012Joe Brenckle 202-224-2465
WASHINGTON, D.C. – During a debate on the National Labor Relations Board’s (NLRB) ambush elections rule today, Senator Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Ranking Member on the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, said that the agency’s reckless actions are threatening America’s small businesses.
“It is important to understand that the NLRB is not an agency that typically issues regulations. In fact, in over 75 years, the NLRB has finalized only three rules through formal rulemaking – two of which occurred last year,” said Senator Enzi. “This ambush elections rule is not a response to a real problem, because the current election process for certifying whether employees want to form a union is not broken. This rule was not carefully negotiated by stakeholders. Instead, it was rushed into place in just months despite the fact that it drew over 65,000 comments in the period after it was first proposed.”
Click on the picture to watch Senator Enzi’s Opening Statement
“Our measure will preserve the fairness and swift resolution of claims which occur under current law. It will not disadvantage unions or roll back any rights,” Senator Enzi said. “What it will do is prevent small business employers out in America from being ambushed, and employees from being misled with insufficient information into union contracts they are forced to join.”
# # #
The first 3 minutes of Senator Enzi’s speech can be found here.
Senator Enzi’s full remarks can be found here.
- Alexander Statement on GAO Report on Healthcare.gov Security Weaknesses [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Tells Administration Health Officials: “We Must Take Deadly Threat of Ebola as Seriously as We Take ISIS” [Ranking Member]
- Statement of Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) In Dual Role as Chair, Harkin will lead a Joint Hearing of the Senate HELP Committee and LHHS Appropriations Subcommittee: [Chairman]
- McConnell, Alexander Introduce Bill to Turn National Labor Relations Board from Advocate to Umpire [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: We Must Take Deadly, Dangerous Threat of Ebola as Seriously as ISIL [Ranking Member]
- Bipartisan, Bicameral Agreement Reached to Reform Child Care & Development Block Grant Program [Ranking Member]