Alexander: Committee-Passed Bill Ensures Children Continue to Benefit from Pediatricians Trained at St. Jude
Bill continues successful program that supports the training of physicians at St. Jude Children’s Hospital in Tennessee and across the country
Thursday, October 31, 2013Liz Wolgemuth 202-228-4729
“This bill means that our children in Tennessee and across the nation will continue to benefit from pediatricians trained at children’s hospitals like St. Jude.” – Lamar Alexander
WASHINGTON, Oct. 31 – The senior Republican on the U.S. Senate health committee today announced the committee approved a bill to continue the successful children’s hospital graduate medical education (CHGME) program that supports the training of pediatricians at children’s hospitals in Tennessee and across the country.
Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said: “This bill means that our children in Tennessee and across the nation will continue to benefit from pediatricians trained at children’s hospitals like St. Jude. This continues a successful program that helps ensure children have access to pediatricians when they need them.”
Alexander is a co-sponsor of the Children’s Hospital GME Support Reauthorization Act, which will reauthorize support for a program that trains doctors at freestanding children’s hospitals, including St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. According to the Children’s Hospital Association, the program supports the training of more than 6,000 pediatricians every year and nearly half of all pediatric residency training in the country.
The bill now awaits consideration by the full Senate.
# # #
- Murray, Isakson Urge FDA to Issue Updated Guidance to Pregnant Women on Seafood Consumption [Ranking Member]
- Murray Joins Advocates to Build on Momentum for Expanding Access to Paid Sick Days [Ranking Member]
- #HFAnow: Murray Launches New Tool to Hear Stories on Paid Sick Days [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Says He Will Fight NLRB Attempt to Undermine State Right-to-Work Laws [Chairman]
- Strong Support for Bipartisan Legislative Agreement to “Fix No Child Left Behind” [Chairman]
- BIPARTISAN NCLB FIX PASSES SENATE COMMITTEE: Murray Calls for Continued Bipartisan Work to Move Bill Through Senate, Get Signed into Law [Ranking Member]