Alexander: Committee-Passed Bill Ensures Children Continue to Benefit from Pediatricians Trained at St. Jude
Bill continues successful program that supports the training of physicians at St. Jude Children’s Hospital in Tennessee and across the country
Thursday, October 31, 2013Liz Wolgemuth 202-228-4729
“This bill means that our children in Tennessee and across the nation will continue to benefit from pediatricians trained at children’s hospitals like St. Jude.” – Lamar Alexander
WASHINGTON, Oct. 31 – The senior Republican on the U.S. Senate health committee today announced the committee approved a bill to continue the successful children’s hospital graduate medical education (CHGME) program that supports the training of pediatricians at children’s hospitals in Tennessee and across the country.
Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said: “This bill means that our children in Tennessee and across the nation will continue to benefit from pediatricians trained at children’s hospitals like St. Jude. This continues a successful program that helps ensure children have access to pediatricians when they need them.”
Alexander is a co-sponsor of the Children’s Hospital GME Support Reauthorization Act, which will reauthorize support for a program that trains doctors at freestanding children’s hospitals, including St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. According to the Children’s Hospital Association, the program supports the training of more than 6,000 pediatricians every year and nearly half of all pediatric residency training in the country.
The bill now awaits consideration by the full Senate.
# # #
- Harkin Marks 20th Anniversary of Bill to Protect Consumers, Clarify Regulation for the Dietary Supplement Industry [Chairman]
- Alexander Bill Would Give Tennessee 100 Percent Control Over Common Core and Tennessee Schools [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on Obama’s Appointment of Ron Klain [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Calls for Restricted Travel from Ebola-Infected West African Countries to U.S. [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: Obamacare Costs to Tennessee Patients, Taxpayers “Nothing Like Tennesseans Were Promised” [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: 5 Economic Facts About Millennials Under Obama Administration [Ranking Member]