Harkin Statement on Nomination of Thomas Perez to Serve as U.S. Secretary of Labor
Monday, March 18, 2013
WASHINGTON, D.C.—U.S. Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee Chairman Tom Harkin (D-IA) released the following statement today on the nomination of Thomas Perez to serve as the U.S. Secretary of Labor.
"I am pleased that President Obama has nominated Thomas Perez to serve as our next Secretary of Labor, a vitally important part of the Cabinet. As the former Maryland Secretary of Labor and as the current Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights, Mr. Perez has served as a voice for the most vulnerable, and reinvigorated the enforcement of our most critical civil rights laws. As the Senate author of the Americans with Disabilities Act, I am particularly pleased with Mr. Perez's long history of strong leadership on disability rights issues, which began when he was the head of the Office of Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in the Clinton Administration, and has continued through his current role.
“Mr. Perez brings significant experience and expertise to this position, and I am confident that he will serve ably if confirmed. As chair of the Senate HELP Committee, I pledge to work with Ranking Member Alexander and members of the Committee to promptly complete our review of Mr. Perez’s nomination. I hope that the U.S. Senate will work quickly to consider and confirm Mr. Perez to this critical role, so that he can continue and build upon the excellent work carried out by Secretary Hilda Solis.”
- Senators Harkin, Warren, Durbin and Congressman Miller Call on Education Dept. to Prohibit Harmful Banking Practices Targeting College Campuses [Chairman]
- Harkin Praises New Protections for Coal Miners to Prevent Black Lung Disease [Chairman]
- Alexander Statement on Supreme Court Decision to Uphold Michigan Ban on Affirmative Action in College Admissions [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on UAW Dropping Appeal of Lost Election at Chattanooga VW Plant [Ranking Member]
- Sen. Alexander Delivers Weekly Republican Address [Ranking Member]
- Harkin: Today’s Enrollment Numbers Show the Affordable Care Act is Working [Chairman]