Seniors Know the Truth: Reid Bill’s Half-Trillion in Cuts from Medicare Would Crush Home Health Care
Saturday, December 05, 2009Craig Orfield (202) 224-6770
Washington, D.C. – Despite unbelievable claims and promises from many Senate Democrats that cutting a half-trillion dollars from Medicare will not affect beneficiaries, seniors know the truth: slashing Medicare will lead to reduced benefits and poorer quality of care, especially for patients who rely on home health agencies, U.S. Senator Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.) said today.
“The Reid bill cuts nearly half-a-trillion dollars from the Medicare program, slashing payments to providers, hospitals, nursing homes, hospices and home health care,” Enzi said. “Senate Democrats claim this won’t affect beneficiaries, but that’s simply false. It’s common sense, and the American people, especially our seniors, get it. If you cut Medicare, you’re cutting benefits.”
Enzi said he will support an amendment that would restore Medicare funding to home health agencies. Home health care is a proven method of reducing hospital admission rates, improving quality of care and allowing patients to remain independent.
“Cutting home health care would be devastating for the seniors who rely on it to stay in their homes and out of the hospital,” Enzi said, noting that public concern about the
Reid bill’s cuts in Medicare and home health care programs was illustrated in a pageone story in today’s New York Times.
# # #
- Harkin, Alexander Initiate Committee Investigation into Pension Lenders [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Alexander Initiate Committee Investigation into Pension Lenders [Chairman]
- Alexander Praises Tennessee Businesses’ Efforts to Improve Accessibility for Individuals with Disabilities [Ranking Member]
- Statement of Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) At the Aspen Institute Initiative on Financial Security: “Improving Retirement Security: Expanding Coverage to All Americans” [Chairman]
- Senate, House Republicans Call on GAO to Investigate Sec. Sebelius’s Solicitation of Funds for Private Non-Profit [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Opposes Nominations of “Unconstitutional Appointees” to NLRB [Ranking Member]