PHOTO: Ahead of Confirmation Hearing, Harkin Meets With Secretary of Health and Human Services-Designate Sylvia Mathews Burwell
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Ahead of a confirmation hearing before the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, Chairman Tom Harkin (D-IA) today met with Sylvia Mathews Burwell, who has been nominated to serve as Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
“Sylvia Mathews Burwell has proven herself as a strong and effective manager in her current role as Director of the Office of Management and Budget and I know she has the experience necessary to continue the great work led by HHS,” Harkin said. “In addition to strengthening the ongoing implementation of the Affordable Care Act, I know she will be ready on day one to take up the work of HHS – across a broad range of agencies, including the CDC, the NIH, FDA, and SAMHSA – to continue to ensure that children, families, and seniors stay healthy and get the care they need. I look forward to having her before the HELP Committee, and urge my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to support her nomination.”
Click here to download a high-resolution version of this photo.
- Alexander Statement on Obama Administration Announcement on Contraception Mandate [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Murray Announce Release of New GAO Report on Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program [Chairman]
- Senators Release Discussion Draft of Bill to Speed FDA Review of Life-Saving Sunscreen Ingredients [Chairman]
- Senators Release Discussion Draft of Bill to Speed FDA Review of Life-Saving Sunscreen Ingredients [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: Gallup Poll Shows Americans Don’t Want a National School Board [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: IRS Mishandling of Medical Device Tax Hurts Tennessee Companies, Costs Jobs [Ranking Member]