PHOTO: Ahead of Confirmation Hearing, Harkin Meets With Secretary of Health and Human Services-Designate Sylvia Mathews Burwell
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Ahead of a confirmation hearing before the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, Chairman Tom Harkin (D-IA) today met with Sylvia Mathews Burwell, who has been nominated to serve as Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
“Sylvia Mathews Burwell has proven herself as a strong and effective manager in her current role as Director of the Office of Management and Budget and I know she has the experience necessary to continue the great work led by HHS,” Harkin said. “In addition to strengthening the ongoing implementation of the Affordable Care Act, I know she will be ready on day one to take up the work of HHS – across a broad range of agencies, including the CDC, the NIH, FDA, and SAMHSA – to continue to ensure that children, families, and seniors stay healthy and get the care they need. I look forward to having her before the HELP Committee, and urge my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to support her nomination.”
Click here to download a high-resolution version of this photo.
- Senate, House Leaders Denounce President’s Veto of Joint Resolution to Stop NLRB Ambush Election Rule [Chairman]
- Murray, Democrats Urge Implementation of Executive Order to Protect Worker Rights [Ranking Member]
- EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION: Murray Amendment to Expand Early Learning Blocked by Senate Republicans [Ranking Member]
- Murray Amendment to Expand Access to Paid Sick Days Passes Senate with Strong Bipartisan Support [Ranking Member]
- Alexander, Murray Introduce Budget Amendment to Ensure Cutting-Edge Medical Treatments Reach American Patients [Chairman]
- Murray Cosponsors Paycheck Fairness Act to Help End Wage Discrimination [Ranking Member]