PHOTO: Ahead of Confirmation Hearing, Harkin Meets With Secretary of Health and Human Services-Designate Sylvia Mathews Burwell
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Ahead of a confirmation hearing before the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, Chairman Tom Harkin (D-IA) today met with Sylvia Mathews Burwell, who has been nominated to serve as Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
“Sylvia Mathews Burwell has proven herself as a strong and effective manager in her current role as Director of the Office of Management and Budget and I know she has the experience necessary to continue the great work led by HHS,” Harkin said. “In addition to strengthening the ongoing implementation of the Affordable Care Act, I know she will be ready on day one to take up the work of HHS – across a broad range of agencies, including the CDC, the NIH, FDA, and SAMHSA – to continue to ensure that children, families, and seniors stay healthy and get the care they need. I look forward to having her before the HELP Committee, and urge my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to support her nomination.”
Click here to download a high-resolution version of this photo.
- House, Senate Leaders Repeat Calls for Administration Transparency on Health Law’s Medicaid Changes [Ranking Member]
- Harkin Introduces Three Bills As Part of “Access for All” Agenda for Americans with Disabilities [Chairman]
- Harkin, Alexander, Reed, Isakson Applaud Senate Passage of Bipartisan Bill to Help Prevent Skin Cancer [Chairman]
- Murray, Alexander Introduce Bipartisan Resolution Designating National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week [Ranking Member]
- Harkin Investigation Finds Persistent Barriers to Economic Success for Americans with Disabilities [Chairman]
- Harkin, Alexander Praise HELP Committee Passage of Education Research Bill [Chairman]