Senators Kennedy and Edwards Join State Organizer to Discuss Minimum Wage Ballot Initiatives on Conference Call Across the Country, States are Taking the Lead to Give Millions the Raise They Deserve
Friday, October 23, 2009Laura Capps/Melissa Wagoner (202) 224-2633
Washington, DC: Today at noon, Senator Edward Kennedy and former Senator John Edwards will host a press conference call with the organizers from the six states that have minimum wage initiatives on the ballot this year: Arizona, Colorado, Missouri, Nevada and Ohio. The minimum wage measures are expected to pass in all six states and extensive get-out-the-vote efforts are underway.
Senators Kennedy and Edwards will discuss how the state efforts demonstrate the need for prompt federal action to raise the minimum wage and the organizers will give updates on the progress of their campaigns.
Senator Kennedy, a lifelong champion of raising the minimum wage, has been fighting to pass his bill that would raise the minimum wage from 5.15 to 7.25 over 2 years. While his plan has bipartisan support in both the House and the Senate, Republican leadership has repeatedly blocked the bill from passage.Senator Edwards has been traveling around the country to build grassroots support for state ballot initiatives to raise the minimum wage. He has been working closely with minimum wage coalitions in Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Missouri, Nevada and Ohio to support their efforts to raise the minimum wage.
WHO: Senator Edward Kennedy, Senator John Edwards, Steve Adams, President Colorado AFL-CIO Coalition Committee Chair, Coloradans For A Fair Minimum Wage,Daniel Thompson, Executive Secretary-Treasurer, Nevada AFL-CIO Michael McGrath, Executive Director, Arizona AFL-CIO Lenny Jones, Campaign Director, Give Missourians a Raise Doug Mitchell, Campaign Manager, Raise Montana, Tim Burga, Political Director, Ohio AFL-CIO Katie Gall, ACORN Ohio C.J. Prentiss, Minority Leader, Ohio State Senate
WHAT: Conference Call with Reporters
WHEN: Monday, October 23 at 12:00pm EST
HOW: Please call Senator Kennedy’s press office at (202)224-2633 if you’d like to participate
- HELP Committee Approves Seven Bipartisan Bills, Builds on Record of Accomplishments [Chairman]
- Harkin, Miller, Warren, DeLauro Introduce Legislation to Establish Fair Work Scheduling Practices [Chairman]
- PHOTOS: At White House, Harkin Applauds Signing of Bipartisan Bill to Update America’s Job Training Programs [Chairman]
- Harkin: ACA Designed to Ensure Quality, Affordable Coverage Available to Every American [Chairman]
- Alexander on Federal Appeals Court Striking Down Obamacare Subsidies for Tennesseans, Americans in 36 States [Ranking Member]
- Harkin Applauds Committee Approval of CRPD, Urges Full Senate Consideration [Chairman]