Senators Kennedy and Edwards Join State Organizer to Discuss Minimum Wage Ballot Initiatives on Conference Call Across the Country, States are Taking the Lead to Give Millions the Raise They Deserve
Friday, October 23, 2009Laura Capps/Melissa Wagoner (202) 224-2633
Washington, DC: Today at noon, Senator Edward Kennedy and former Senator John Edwards will host a press conference call with the organizers from the six states that have minimum wage initiatives on the ballot this year: Arizona, Colorado, Missouri, Nevada and Ohio. The minimum wage measures are expected to pass in all six states and extensive get-out-the-vote efforts are underway.
Senators Kennedy and Edwards will discuss how the state efforts demonstrate the need for prompt federal action to raise the minimum wage and the organizers will give updates on the progress of their campaigns.
Senator Kennedy, a lifelong champion of raising the minimum wage, has been fighting to pass his bill that would raise the minimum wage from 5.15 to 7.25 over 2 years. While his plan has bipartisan support in both the House and the Senate, Republican leadership has repeatedly blocked the bill from passage.Senator Edwards has been traveling around the country to build grassroots support for state ballot initiatives to raise the minimum wage. He has been working closely with minimum wage coalitions in Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Missouri, Nevada and Ohio to support their efforts to raise the minimum wage.
WHO: Senator Edward Kennedy, Senator John Edwards, Steve Adams, President Colorado AFL-CIO Coalition Committee Chair, Coloradans For A Fair Minimum Wage,Daniel Thompson, Executive Secretary-Treasurer, Nevada AFL-CIO Michael McGrath, Executive Director, Arizona AFL-CIO Lenny Jones, Campaign Director, Give Missourians a Raise Doug Mitchell, Campaign Manager, Raise Montana, Tim Burga, Political Director, Ohio AFL-CIO Katie Gall, ACORN Ohio C.J. Prentiss, Minority Leader, Ohio State Senate
WHAT: Conference Call with Reporters
WHEN: Monday, October 23 at 12:00pm EST
HOW: Please call Senator Kennedy’s press office at (202)224-2633 if you’d like to participate
- Alexander: Obamacare Delivers Unwelcome Christmas Present, Unhappy New Year for Many Tennesseans [Ranking Member]
- Harkin Statement on HELP Committee Approval of Department of Labor, National Science Foundation, and Railroad Retirement Board Nominations [Chairman]
- Harkin: HELP Committee Completes Year of Bipartisan Action by Approving Two Health Bills [Chairman]
- Harkin, Boxer, Blumenthal, Durbin, Brown, and Markey Urge Federal Trade Commission to Investigate E-Cigarette Marketing Practices [Chairman]
- Alexander, Barrasso, Enzi Introduce Bill to Reverse Administration’s “Politically Motivated” Decision to Delay Next Year’s Obamacare Insurance Enrollment Until After 2014 Election [Ranking Member]
- Statement of Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) On Senate Floor: “Working Families Need Congress To Be On Their Side” [Chairman]