Harkin: Today the Senate Takes First Steps Toward Job Creation This Year
First Bill in Series of Short and Long-Term Ideas to Spur Job Creation Passes Chamber
Wednesday, February 24, 2010Kate Cyrul / Bergen Kenny (202) 224-3254
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) today issued the following statement after the Senate passed the bipartisan Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment (HIRE) Act by a vote of 70 to 28. The HIRE Act is a bipartisan bill that has the potential to create and save many jobs nationwide this year. The measure will now go on to the U.S. House for consideration. Harkin is the Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.
“Far too many Americans have been out of work for far too long, through no fault of their own. In one of the first major efforts of this new session, the Senate took steps toward creating an environment that spurs job creation for the families who need them with a focus on trying to help those who have been unemployed for an extended period.
“This measure contains a payroll tax holiday, which will give businesses that hire new employees who have been unemployed a tax break this year. It also provides more funding for our highways, which will provide needed construction jobs and help upgrade our roads. And small businesses that make capital investments will get a tax benefit as well.
“My hope is that the House quickly takes up and passes this measure. In the next few weeks, we plan to work on a series of short and long-term efforts aimed at putting America back to work.”
- Senators Harkin, Warren, Durbin and Congressman Miller Call on Education Dept. to Prohibit Harmful Banking Practices Targeting College Campuses [Chairman]
- Harkin Praises New Protections for Coal Miners to Prevent Black Lung Disease [Chairman]
- Alexander Statement on Supreme Court Decision to Uphold Michigan Ban on Affirmative Action in College Admissions [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on UAW Dropping Appeal of Lost Election at Chattanooga VW Plant [Ranking Member]
- Sen. Alexander Delivers Weekly Republican Address [Ranking Member]
- Harkin: Today’s Enrollment Numbers Show the Affordable Care Act is Working [Chairman]