Harkin Statement on Florida Court Ruling
Monday, January 31, 2011Justine Sessions (202)-224-3254
WASHINGTON – Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee Chairman Tom Harkin (D-IA) released the following statement on today’s ruling by Florida U.S. District Court judge Roger Vinson on the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act:
“Since the Affordable Care Act passed, opponents of reform have filed more than 20 different legal challenges in an attempt to derail important new protections and health care benefits for Americans. Judges across the country have already dismissed 12 of these cases, and two federal judges have ruled the Affordable Care Act constitutional.
“Although I am pleased he did not move to halt the implementation of the law, Judge Vinson is wrong in his assessment of the individual mandate. When people seek medical care without health insurance and don’t pay for it, they aren’t ‘opting out’ of the health care market. Instead, it adds more than $1,000 per year to the premiums of American families who act responsibly by having coverage. This clearly affects interstate commerce and is thus within Congress’ power to regulate.
“Fortunately, Judge Vinson’s will not be the final word on this issue – I am confident that the appellate courts and the Supreme Court will find the Affordable Care Act constitutional, ensuring that Americans keep crucial new protections against the unfair practices of insurance companies.”
- Harkin Statement On CDC Announcement of Ebola Case in Texas [Chairman]
- Alexander: Study Shows Double-Digit Obamacare Premium Increases in Store for Tennesseans in 2015 [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Praises Nashville-Based HCA Healthcare for $1 Million Donation to Respond to Ebola Epidemic [Ranking Member]
- Democratic House, Senate Leaders Release New Report Identifying Hundreds of Tobacco, E-Cigarette Ads and Images in Magazines with High Teen Readership [Chairman]
- Hatch, Alexander Highlight GAO Report Confirming Need for Additional Oversight of Department of Labor Grants [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: Vanderbilt Ebola Researchers, State Health Experts “Ready to Run Toward the Flames with Fireproof Suits On” [Ranking Member]