States are Key to Addressing Rising College Tuition
Thursday, September 13, 2012Joe Brenckle 202-224-2465
WASHINGTON, D.C. – During a hearing today on addressing the challenges in paying for college education, Senator Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Ranking Member on the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, said while reauthorizing the Higher Education Act and looking for ways that the federal government can better serve American students is critical, it is also important to closely consider what is being done at the state level.
“When it comes to rising college tuition, it is imperative that we discuss the promising innovations already being implemented throughout the states,” said Senator Enzi. “This will serve as a model for future reforms in the federal student aid programs to reverse the seemingly endless increases in college costs.”
Senator Enzi noted that he recently heard a disturbing description of just how high college prices have climbed. Earlier this summer, the Senate Finance Committee held a hearing focused on higher education provisions in the tax code. One of the witnesses at the hearing explained the following: If milk and gas had risen as fast as college prices since 1980, gas would be $13 a gallon today and milk would be $23 per gallon.
“This fact is simply astounding, and underscores the urgency to address the effectiveness of current federal student aid programs and how we can do things better,” Senator Enzi said. “Waiting will only result in yet another costly climb in expensive college education.”
# # #
- Senate, House Leaders Denounce President’s Veto of Joint Resolution to Stop NLRB Ambush Election Rule [Chairman]
- Murray, Democrats Urge Implementation of Executive Order to Protect Worker Rights [Ranking Member]
- EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION: Murray Amendment to Expand Early Learning Blocked by Senate Republicans [Ranking Member]
- Murray Amendment to Expand Access to Paid Sick Days Passes Senate with Strong Bipartisan Support [Ranking Member]
- Alexander, Murray Introduce Budget Amendment to Ensure Cutting-Edge Medical Treatments Reach American Patients [Chairman]
- Murray Cosponsors Paycheck Fairness Act to Help End Wage Discrimination [Ranking Member]