Enzi Introduces Bipartisan Legislation to Preserve VPP Workplace Safety Program
Tuesday, April 27, 2010Craig Orfield (202) 224-6770
Washington, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Ranking Member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, announced today that he has introduced bipartisan legislation to protect a key voluntary workplace safety program cut out of the Administration’s budget proposal. The bill, co-sponsored by Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA), will preserve the Department of Labor’s Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP), a cooperative program between private industry and the DOL’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
“The legislation we have proposed will protect the VPP and support a balanced approach to the goal of increased work place safety we all want to achieve,” said Enzi. “If we truly want to continue to improve workplace safety we need to think creatively and fashion policies aimed at getting results.”
“No program has been more successful in creating such a culture of safety in the workplace than the VPP. Since it was created in 1982, Republican and Democrat administrations alike have fostered its growth. It now includes 2,284 worksites, a quarter of which are unionized, covering almost a million employees,” Enzi added.
# # #
- Alexander: Study Shows Double-Digit Obamacare Premium Increases in Store for Tennesseans in 2015 [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Praises Nashville-Based HCA Healthcare for $1 Million Donation to Respond to Ebola Epidemic [Ranking Member]
- Democratic House, Senate Leaders Release New Report Identifying Hundreds of Tobacco, E-Cigarette Ads and Images in Magazines with High Teen Readership [Chairman]
- Hatch, Alexander Highlight GAO Report Confirming Need for Additional Oversight of Department of Labor Grants [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: Vanderbilt Ebola Researchers, State Health Experts “Ready to Run Toward the Flames with Fireproof Suits On” [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on HHS Inspector General Report on Healthcare.gov Security Weaknesses [Ranking Member]