Enzi Introduced Radiology Care Bill To Improve Medical Care, Reduce Costs
Thursday, August 05, 2010Craig Orfield (202) 224-6770
Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senator Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Ranking Member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee (HELP Committee), today introduced the “Consistency, Accuracy, Responsibility and Excellence (CARE) in Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy Act of 2010,” a bill that will improve patient safety and health care quality by advancing uniform standards for medical imaging certification.
The CARE Act is co-sponsored by Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) HELP Committee Chairman, Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) and Senator Al Franken (D-MN).
“For millions of Americans, the road to diagnosis, treatment, and healing begins in the radiology department,” Enzi said. “The CARE bill will require national education standards for the professionals that perform medical imaging and radiation therapy to ensure that they are properly trained. This bill is vital to improving patient safety and health care quality.”
Each year, between 4 percent and 7 percent of medical imaging examinations have to be repeated due to improper positioning or technique. This not only puts patient safety at risk, due to the threat of overexposure to radiation, but also costs Americans and the federal government a staggering amount in unnecessary health care bills.
“This bill will not only improve health care quality and save lives, it will also reduce costs and make radiologic care more affordable and accessible for patients in need,” Enzi said.
Standards prescribed under the bill will be waived for states that have already established their own medical imaging certification standards, Enzi added.
- Alexander: Obama Administration’s Gainful Employment Regulation “Not the Way to Weed Out Bad Actors” [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Durbin, Murphy, Cummings on Department of Education's Final Gainful Employment Rule and For-Profit Task Force Announcement [Chairman]
- Harkin, Alexander Will Introduce Bipartisan Bill to Speed Development of Ebola Treatments [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Alexander Will Introduce Bipartisan Bill to Speed Development of Ebola Treatments [Chairman]
- Harkin Marks 20th Anniversary of Bill to Protect Consumers, Clarify Regulation for the Dietary Supplement Industry [Chairman]
- Alexander Bill Would Give Tennessee 100 Percent Control Over Common Core and Tennessee Schools [Ranking Member]