Alexander: Obamacare a “Thumb in the Eye to Our Constitution’s Protections of Religious Freedom”
Tuesday, March 25, 2014Liz Wolgemuth 202-228-4729
Washington, D.C., March 25– U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the senior Republican on the Senate health committee, today released the following statement before the Supreme Court hears oral arguments on Sebelius v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. and Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp. v. Sebelius:
“Obamacare is a thumb in the eye to our Constitution’s protections of religious freedom. The United States ought to be the last country on earth where people of faith are forced by their government to defy their religious beliefs. I am glad these cases are now before the Supreme Court and am hopeful the court will find this administration has reached too far.”
If Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialities Corp., both private companies, do not meet the health care law’s regulatory requirements that they include certain contraceptives, including abortifacient pills, in the health care coverage they provide employees, the companies will pay fines. Hobby Lobby estimates it will pay fines of about $1.3 million a day.
Alexander was one of 88 members of Congress who joined in filing an amicus brief on behalf of Hobby Lobby in the Supreme Court case.
# # #
- Alexander: Study Shows Double-Digit Obamacare Premium Increases in Store for Tennesseans in 2015 [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Praises Nashville-Based HCA Healthcare for $1 Million Donation to Respond to Ebola Epidemic [Ranking Member]
- Democratic House, Senate Leaders Release New Report Identifying Hundreds of Tobacco, E-Cigarette Ads and Images in Magazines with High Teen Readership [Chairman]
- Hatch, Alexander Highlight GAO Report Confirming Need for Additional Oversight of Department of Labor Grants [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: Vanderbilt Ebola Researchers, State Health Experts “Ready to Run Toward the Flames with Fireproof Suits On” [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on HHS Inspector General Report on Healthcare.gov Security Weaknesses [Ranking Member]