Alexander: Obamacare a “Thumb in the Eye to Our Constitution’s Protections of Religious Freedom”
Tuesday, March 25, 2014Liz Wolgemuth 202-228-4729
Washington, D.C., March 25– U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the senior Republican on the Senate health committee, today released the following statement before the Supreme Court hears oral arguments on Sebelius v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. and Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp. v. Sebelius:
“Obamacare is a thumb in the eye to our Constitution’s protections of religious freedom. The United States ought to be the last country on earth where people of faith are forced by their government to defy their religious beliefs. I am glad these cases are now before the Supreme Court and am hopeful the court will find this administration has reached too far.”
If Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialities Corp., both private companies, do not meet the health care law’s regulatory requirements that they include certain contraceptives, including abortifacient pills, in the health care coverage they provide employees, the companies will pay fines. Hobby Lobby estimates it will pay fines of about $1.3 million a day.
Alexander was one of 88 members of Congress who joined in filing an amicus brief on behalf of Hobby Lobby in the Supreme Court case.
# # #
- Harkin: ACA Designed to Ensure Quality, Affordable Coverage Available to Every American [Chairman]
- Alexander on Federal Appeals Court Striking Down Obamacare Subsidies for Tennesseans, Americans in 36 States [Ranking Member]
- Harkin Applauds Committee Approval of CRPD, Urges Full Senate Consideration [Chairman]
- Statement of Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) At the Employment and Workplace Safety Subcommittee Hearing: “Coal Miners’ Struggle for Justice: How Unethical Legal and Medical Practices Stack the Deck Against Black Lung Claimants” [Chairman]
- Harkin Applauds Executive Order to Ban LGBT Discrimination Among Federal Employees and Contractors [Chairman]
- Alexander Cosponsors Bill to Repeal Davis-Bacon Act, Save Taxpayers Billions Each Year [Ranking Member]