Alexander Says Court Decision Requires Immediate Resignation of Obama Appointees to NLRB
Friday, January 25, 2013
WASHINGTON, Jan. 25 – U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the Ranking Member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, today called on the members of the National Labor Relations Board appointed by President Obama in January during a pro-forma session of the United States Senate to resign immediately after a Federal Circuit Court of Appeals panel ruled those appointments unconstitutional.
Alexander said: “The court has found that the president violated the Constitution when he made these appointments. These individuals should resign from the board immediately, because no decision in which they participate can be valid. This judgment is proof that the administration defied the Constitution’s separation of powers and its concept of checks and balances, which are the guard against an imperial presidency.”
In September of last year, Alexander joined 41 Republican senators in filing an amicus brief in the Noel Canning case against the President’s pro-forma session appointments to the National Labor Relations Board.
Click here for the text of a floor speech delivered in February, when Alexander challenged the president’s appointments, saying: “The President has shown disregard for possibly the best-known and most important role of the Senate – its power of advice and consent of executive and judicial nominations as outlined in Article 2, Section 2, of the Constitution.”
# # #
- Harkin: It’s About Time for FDA Action on E-Cigarettes [Chairman]
- Senators Harkin, Warren, Durbin and Congressman Miller Call on Education Dept. to Prohibit Harmful Banking Practices Targeting College Campuses [Chairman]
- Harkin Praises New Protections for Coal Miners to Prevent Black Lung Disease [Chairman]
- Alexander Statement on Supreme Court Decision to Uphold Michigan Ban on Affirmative Action in College Admissions [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on UAW Dropping Appeal of Lost Election at Chattanooga VW Plant [Ranking Member]
- Sen. Alexander Delivers Weekly Republican Address [Ranking Member]