Harkin Statement on Senate Approval of Nominees to Department of Education, National Science Foundation, and Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission
Three Nominees Were Unanimously Cleared by HELP Committee Earlier This Year
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C.—U.S. Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, issued the following statement today after the Senate approved by voice vote the nominations of James Shelton to serve as Deputy Secretary of the Department of Education; France Cordova to serve as Director of the National Science Foundation; and Heather MacDougall, to serve as a Member of the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
Shelton and Cordova were unanimously approved by the HELP Committee on January 29th, while MacDougall was unanimously approved by the Committee on February 27th.
“As Deputy Secretary of Education, Jim Shelton will be a great asset to the Department of Education, and will help further its work to improve our country’s educational opportunities and ensure that every student has access to a quality education.
“Dr. France Cordova, the former president of Purdue University and current chair of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution, is eminently qualified to carry out the role of Director of the National Science Foundation. I am confident that she will do a superb job promoting the progress and prosperity of science.
“Heather MacDougall brings to the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission a wealth of experience in labor and employment law, and will be an asset to the Commission as a new Member.
“I am pleased that the Senate has acted to unanimously approve these three well-qualified candidates, and I thank Jim Shelton, France Cordova, and Heather MacDougall for their commitment to public service and to our nation.”
- Senate Committee Leaders Alexander and Hatch Release Joint Report on Obama Administration’s Obamacare Claims [Ranking Member]
- Congressional Authors Of E-Cigarette Marketing Report Call New CDC Data “the Sound Of An Alarm” [Chairman]
- Barrasso, Alexander: Americans Deserve to See New, Accurate Obamacare Enrollment Data [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on Obama Administration Announcement on Contraception Mandate [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Murray Announce Release of New GAO Report on Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program [Chairman]
- Senators Release Discussion Draft of Bill to Speed FDA Review of Life-Saving Sunscreen Ingredients [Chairman]