Statement of Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) on His Decision to Remain Chairman of the HELP Committee
Wednesday, December 19, 2012
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) today issued the following statement:
“Earlier today, I informed Majority Leader Reid of my intention to remain Chairman of the Senate’s Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee. I made this decision based on where my passion lies. This is my work, it is who I am, and these are the issues that define me.
“I believe strongly that the erosion of the middle class, and growing income inequality, are among our most pressing issues as a country. To that end, I am committed to doing everything I can to reverse those trends. In the new Congress, I intend to move forward with bills to ensure that all Americans are able to achieve the promise of a quality education – beginning in early childhood, continuing through elementary and high school, and culminating with higher education. In addition, I have proposed a new type of pension plan, the USA Retirement plan, to provide Americans with a secure source of retirement income for life. I am committed to doing everything I can to see it enacted into law. I have also been working with colleagues on both sides of the aisle, within the Administration, and throughout the employer community, to significantly increase the employment of individuals with disabilities, in order to continue to fulfill the promise of the Americans with Disabilities Act. I am also committed to working closely with the Administration to ensure the successful implementation of the Affordable Care Act, including the Prevention and Public Health title – an effort decades in the making to change our ‘sick care’ system into a genuine health care system. One of my goals is to push for legislation that raises the minimum wage, and for bills that help support working families. And, I want to ensure that all Americans are able to participate and be rewarded in the labor force based solely on their ability, qualifications, and performance.
“I believe the best place to advance this agenda is through my HELP Chairmanship working in conjunction with my Chairmanship of the Appropriations subcommittee that funds health, education, and labor. It was my good friend Senator Inouye who said that these issues are the issues that define America. I couldn’t agree more. I am proud of these assignments and I intend to see my work through.”
- Murray Statements at HELP Committee Executive Session [Ranking Member]
- Alexander, Murray Announce Committee Passage of Bill to Help Teachers, School Leaders with Better Education Research and Data [Chairman]
- Senators Alexander, Murray Announce Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Subcommittee Assignments for the 114th Congress [Chairman]
- Senate Health Committee Passes Bipartisan Legislation to Support Social and Nutrition Services for Nearly 12 Million U.S. Seniors [Chairman]
- McConnell, Alexander Introduce Bill to Reform National Labor Relations Board [Chairman]
- Senators Alexander, Murray Comment on Chairman Upton’s Discussion Document for the “21st Century Cures” Initiative [Chairman]