Harkin: Six Million … And Growing
Americans Taking Advantage of Affordable, Quality Health Care
Thursday, March 27, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, today released the following statement on the news that more than six million Americans have enrolled in quality, affordable health coverage through the federal and state Marketplaces created under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). As Chairman of the HELP Committee, Harkin played a pivotal role in the passage of the ACA.
“Today’s enrollment numbers show us that the promise of the Affordable Care Act—expanding quality, comprehensive coverage to millions of Americans, many of whom previously had no access to health insurance—is becoming a reality,” Harkin said. “In addition to the six million Americans who have gained access through the federal and state Marketplaces, millions of Americans have also gained health coverage through the expansion of Medicaid, and more than three million young adults have gained coverage by staying on their parents’ plans.
“From today through March 31st, Iowans seeking health insurance coverage for 2014 can review their options available through our state’s Marketplace—and sign up—by visiting Healthcare.gov or by calling 1-800-318-2596.”
To gain coverage for 2014, Iowans must sign up for coverage by March 31st, and can do so by visiting Healthcare.gov or by calling 1-800-318-2596. Recently, Harkin released a public service announcement to help spread the word in Iowa about enrolling for health coverage through the ACA. Listen to Harkin’s public service announcement by clicking here.
- Chairman Harkin: HELP Committee Completes Bipartisan Success in 113th Congress by Sending 26th Bill to President’s Desk [Chairman]
- Harkin, Alexander, HELP Committee Members Urge Continued Prescription Drug Abuse Work [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Alexander, HELP Committee Members Urge Continued Prescription Drug Abuse Work [Chairman]
- Alexander Opposes Obama Nominee for Surgeon General [Ranking Member]
- McConnell, Alexander Statements on NLRB’s Final “Ambush Election” Rule [Ranking Member]
- Harkin Statement In Support of NLRB Final Rule to Modernize Union Election Process [Chairman]