Enzi Encourages Small Business Participation in Pension System
Thursday, September 20, 2012Joe Brenckle 202-224-2465
WASHINGTON, D.C. – During a hearing on pensions today, Senator Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Ranking Member on the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, encouraged small business participation in the pension system to help improve and expand retirement savings in the country.
“There is little doubt about the power of retirement dollars in our economy,” said Senator Enzi. “As a former small business owner, I believe it is important to encourage the business community to participate in voluntary retirement systems. Looking at all aspects of the retirement system from the auto enrollment features contained in the Pension Protection Act of 2006 to why has the traditional defined benefit system has been in a state of decline, it is important to seek alternatives to encourage more small businesses to provide retirement accounts for their employees.”
Senator Enzi noted that recently reported statistics show that there is more than $18 trillion of U.S. retirement assets invested in the economy. Currently, the greatest share of that comes from 401(k) and Individual Retirement Accounts and the share from the traditional pension system is growing smaller each year.
“However, we still have room for improvement to encourage greater participation by the private sector in our retirement system and seek alternatives for the traditional defined benefit system,” Senator Enzi said. “If people do not save enough through their 401(k)s and IRAs for retirement, then these people will place a greater strain on our very shaky federal entitlement programs.”
# # #
View Senator Enzi’s opening statement here.
- Harkin: It’s About Time for FDA Action on E-Cigarettes [Chairman]
- Senators Harkin, Warren, Durbin and Congressman Miller Call on Education Dept. to Prohibit Harmful Banking Practices Targeting College Campuses [Chairman]
- Harkin Praises New Protections for Coal Miners to Prevent Black Lung Disease [Chairman]
- Alexander Statement on Supreme Court Decision to Uphold Michigan Ban on Affirmative Action in College Admissions [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on UAW Dropping Appeal of Lost Election at Chattanooga VW Plant [Ranking Member]
- Sen. Alexander Delivers Weekly Republican Address [Ranking Member]