Alexander Praises Signing Into Law of Burr-Harkin Bill to Prepare Nation for Pandemic and Bioterror Attacks
Thursday, March 14, 2013Liz Wolgemuth 202-228-4729
Washington, D.C., March 14 – U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the Ranking Member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, today praised the signing into law of the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013, a bipartisan effort to ensure that the nation is prepared to respond to a wide range of public health emergencies, whether naturally occurring or the result of a chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear attack.
Alexander said: “Americans know the real threat of a bioterror attack or flu outbreak, and this will prepare our nation for that threat and ensure our state and federal governments and local entities are continuing to work together to be as ready as possible. I commend Senator Burr for his long standing leadership on these issues.”
Alexander, along with committee Chairman Senator Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) and Senators Enzi (R-Wyo.), Casey (D-Penn.), Mikulski (D-Md.), Isakson (R-Ga.), Roberts (R-Kan.), Chambliss (R-Ga.) are original cosponsors of the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013.
This reauthorization strengthens preparedness for and ability to respond to medical and public health emergencies, optimizes state and local all-hazards preparedness and response efforts and collaboration, enhances medical countermeasure activities, and reauthorizes key medical and public health programs, including the BioShield Special Reserve Fund. Additional information regarding this bill can be found here.
# # #
- BIPARTISAN NCLB FIX PASSES SENATE COMMITTEE: Murray Calls for Continued Bipartisan Work to Move Bill Through Senate, Get Signed into Law [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: Unanimous Committee Passage of Bipartisan Agreement to Fix No Child Left Behind Shows Consensus on Urgent Need to Fix the Law and How to Fix It [Chairman]
- Murray Amendment to Support Schools Following Traumatic Events Passes HELP Committee [Ranking Member]
- Murray Amendment to Improve and Expand Early Learning Passes HELP Committee [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Votes to End Threat of Payment Cuts to Doctors Who Serve Medicare Patients [Chairman]
- Senate, House Leaders Continue Fight Against Ambush Union Elections [Chairman]