Alexander Praises Signing Into Law of Burr-Harkin Bill to Prepare Nation for Pandemic and Bioterror Attacks
Thursday, March 14, 2013Liz Wolgemuth 202-228-4729
Washington, D.C., March 14 – U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the Ranking Member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, today praised the signing into law of the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013, a bipartisan effort to ensure that the nation is prepared to respond to a wide range of public health emergencies, whether naturally occurring or the result of a chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear attack.
Alexander said: “Americans know the real threat of a bioterror attack or flu outbreak, and this will prepare our nation for that threat and ensure our state and federal governments and local entities are continuing to work together to be as ready as possible. I commend Senator Burr for his long standing leadership on these issues.”
Alexander, along with committee Chairman Senator Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) and Senators Enzi (R-Wyo.), Casey (D-Penn.), Mikulski (D-Md.), Isakson (R-Ga.), Roberts (R-Kan.), Chambliss (R-Ga.) are original cosponsors of the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013.
This reauthorization strengthens preparedness for and ability to respond to medical and public health emergencies, optimizes state and local all-hazards preparedness and response efforts and collaboration, enhances medical countermeasure activities, and reauthorizes key medical and public health programs, including the BioShield Special Reserve Fund. Additional information regarding this bill can be found here.
# # #
- [blank] [Chairman]
- Tennessee Senators, Representatives Ask for Details on Administration Medicare Policy that Violates Tennessee Law and Harms Tennessee Businesses [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Alexander Initiate Committee Investigation into Pension Lenders [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Alexander Initiate Committee Investigation into Pension Lenders [Chairman]
- Alexander Praises Tennessee Businesses’ Efforts to Improve Accessibility for Individuals with Disabilities [Ranking Member]
- Statement of Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) At the Aspen Institute Initiative on Financial Security: “Improving Retirement Security: Expanding Coverage to All Americans” [Chairman]