Alexander Praises Signing Into Law of Burr-Harkin Bill to Prepare Nation for Pandemic and Bioterror Attacks
Thursday, March 14, 2013Liz Wolgemuth 202-228-4729
Washington, D.C., March 14 – U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), the Ranking Member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, today praised the signing into law of the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013, a bipartisan effort to ensure that the nation is prepared to respond to a wide range of public health emergencies, whether naturally occurring or the result of a chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear attack.
Alexander said: “Americans know the real threat of a bioterror attack or flu outbreak, and this will prepare our nation for that threat and ensure our state and federal governments and local entities are continuing to work together to be as ready as possible. I commend Senator Burr for his long standing leadership on these issues.”
Alexander, along with committee Chairman Senator Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) and Senators Enzi (R-Wyo.), Casey (D-Penn.), Mikulski (D-Md.), Isakson (R-Ga.), Roberts (R-Kan.), Chambliss (R-Ga.) are original cosponsors of the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Reauthorization Act of 2013.
This reauthorization strengthens preparedness for and ability to respond to medical and public health emergencies, optimizes state and local all-hazards preparedness and response efforts and collaboration, enhances medical countermeasure activities, and reauthorizes key medical and public health programs, including the BioShield Special Reserve Fund. Additional information regarding this bill can be found here.
# # #
- HELP Committee Approves Seven Bipartisan Bills, Builds on Record of Accomplishments [Chairman]
- Harkin, Miller, Warren, DeLauro Introduce Legislation to Establish Fair Work Scheduling Practices [Chairman]
- PHOTOS: At White House, Harkin Applauds Signing of Bipartisan Bill to Update America’s Job Training Programs [Chairman]
- Harkin: ACA Designed to Ensure Quality, Affordable Coverage Available to Every American [Chairman]
- Alexander on Federal Appeals Court Striking Down Obamacare Subsidies for Tennesseans, Americans in 36 States [Ranking Member]
- Harkin Applauds Committee Approval of CRPD, Urges Full Senate Consideration [Chairman]