Harkin Statement on Chemical Facility Safety and Security Working Group Recommendations
Friday, June 06, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, today released the following statement in response to a report released by a federal, interagency Working Group tasked with making recommendations to improve chemical facility safety and security. The Working Group was formed as a result of an Executive Order from President Obama.
“As the West, Texas disaster reminded us, keeping our nation’s communities, workers, and first responders safe from the dangers associated with the handling and storage of hazardous chemicals should be a priority for all of us. I want to commend the President and his Executive Working Group for examining the issues related to these important matters and taking substantive steps toward improving health and safety for everyone. It is vitally important to ensure that such an unnecessary tragedy never occurs again, and I look forward to working with the appropriate agencies, especially the Department of Labor, on the policy recommendations contained in the report.”
A copy of the report can be seen here.
- Alexander Statement on Obama Administration Announcement on Contraception Mandate [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Murray Announce Release of New GAO Report on Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program [Chairman]
- Senators Release Discussion Draft of Bill to Speed FDA Review of Life-Saving Sunscreen Ingredients [Chairman]
- Senators Release Discussion Draft of Bill to Speed FDA Review of Life-Saving Sunscreen Ingredients [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: Gallup Poll Shows Americans Don’t Want a National School Board [Ranking Member]
- Alexander: IRS Mishandling of Medical Device Tax Hurts Tennessee Companies, Costs Jobs [Ranking Member]