Harkin Statement on HELP Committee Approval of Department of Labor, National Science Foundation, and Railroad Retirement Board Nominations
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Today, Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, issued the following statement after the HELP Committee approved three nominees. The approved nominees include: Dr. David Weil to serve as head of the Wage and Hour Division at the Department of Labor, Dr. France Cordova to serve as Director of the National Science Foundation, and Steven J. Anthony to serve as the Management Member of the Railroad Retirement Board.
“Dr. David Weil demonstrated in his testimony to the Committee last week that he is a superb choice to head the Wage and Hour Division at the Department of Labor. Dr. Weil is one of our nation’s leading experts on the enforcement of our critical workplace laws, including minimum wage and overtime regulations. In his academic career, he has studied and written extensively on the most effective ways to use limited resources to increase compliance, and has provided extensive counsel to the Department of Labor under Republican and Democratic administrations alike. He will bring unique talents to the Division, from his background as a business school professor as well as his extensive work in mediation. I am confident that he will be an exceptional leader of the Wage and Hour Division.
“As the former president of Purdue University and current chair of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution, Dr. France Cordova has the strong experience and qualifications needed to serve as Director of the National Science Foundation and to continue its work in promoting the progress and prosperity of science.
“With over 36 years of experience working with the railroad industry, Steven J. Anthony is an excellent candidate to join the Railroad Retirement Board. Currently serving as Senior General Counsel for the Norfolk Southern Railway, Mr. Anthony is a proven problem-solver and will be an asset to the Board as a Management Member.
“It is clear that the nominees approved by the HELP Committee today will be a tremendous asset to their respective agencies. I thank them for their willingness to serve and urge my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to join me in supporting these three excellent candidates when their nominations come before the full Senate.”
- Senate Committee Leaders Alexander and Hatch Release Joint Report on Obama Administration’s Obamacare Claims [Ranking Member]
- Congressional Authors Of E-Cigarette Marketing Report Call New CDC Data “the Sound Of An Alarm” [Chairman]
- Barrasso, Alexander: Americans Deserve to See New, Accurate Obamacare Enrollment Data [Ranking Member]
- Alexander Statement on Obama Administration Announcement on Contraception Mandate [Ranking Member]
- Harkin, Murray Announce Release of New GAO Report on Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program [Chairman]
- Senators Release Discussion Draft of Bill to Speed FDA Review of Life-Saving Sunscreen Ingredients [Chairman]